Friday, February 10, 2012

Windows Phone Update - BITS failure

Yesterday I had this popup on my new Nokia Lumia 800 for a phone update. I connected it my laptop and up came the Zune. I went through the wizard for the update, and but lo, the update failed.

























The error conveyed that the failure was due to a problem with BITS. For the newbies, BITS stands for Background Intelligent Transfer Service. This is the piece of service which helps the automatic Windows Updates to happen.

Anyways, the error notification was helpful in spitting out a code - 8018119C.

I had some trouble finding out the cause and a remedy. In my hunting, I found this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2484484#8018119C.

According to this site, I had to clear the logs created by the BITS service. So all I had to do was to kick on the console and execute the following command:

c:\bitsadmin /reset


This clears all the logs created. 


I then re-plugged the phone and the update started. 

4 comments:

  1. I was conveyed with an error code 8018119C when i was trying to update my phone , then i was searching for a solution and i came across this blog which i found very useful ,the above command worked well and my updates got installed .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried everything before this bitsadmin thing and nothing helped. Still my bitsadmin.exe was in c:\windows\system32 and I had to open cmd.exe as an administrator before it cleared all the logs and started to update my Lumia 800.
    Thank you so much for helping me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do I get the console up to execute the command?

    ReplyDelete

Cookies, anyone?

  Our application started having integration issues early March this year. Did I say that was intermittent? To add to our confusion, we coul...